ProximityCast.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Reason for Lat & Long coordinates on an image


I am attempting a paradigm shift in how the world locates places. This is not necessarily an easy matter since most of us are not given to change too easily, and we are typically map and street address oriented when it comes to finding places. With the increasing popularity of GPS systems I am of the opinion that some pictures are complimented by their coordinate address being placed on the picture. My “Mystery Destination” lounge is just one of millions existing somewhere in our world without the coordinates. But, with the coordinates on the image someone with a GPS can say, “I can find that place! And, it’s close or it’s too far to bother.”
I believe a picture is worth a thousand words and accurate GPS coordinates trump all street address.

Not all pictures lend themselves to be complimented by their coordinate location, a portrait for instance or a rainbow with coordinates would be meaningless. If I go to the location the portrait or rainbow was taken I can’t expect to find them there when I arrive. Also pictures that are an exceptional work of art like your ‘Estuary Reflections VI’ don’t need to be tarnished by the added text. However a shot like my ‘Pawn Shop’ are not particularly artistic and I feel the added coordinates provide extra usefulness for those in need of locating a pawn shop.

I broke the mold slightly with my ‘Mystery Destination’ and ‘Sail Away’ submissions but I did these two with coordinates to bring attention to the coordinates, and if my response makes sense then it was a great opportunity to explain myself. Tomorrow I will show what we enjoyed at this establishment and that picture will be coordinate free, but the day after I will post the entry to the establishment which in my mind is the quintessential reason for matching coordinates with a picture.

Your suggestion for an added border with the text work contained in that is a good idea and the kind of feedback I was looking for when I decided to start posting on treklens. I believe that would be a perfect way to handle a work of art like your ‘Estuary Reflections VI’ shot where coordinates could compliment the picture. I think other shots can have the coordinates blended artfully with the picture, ‘Sail Away’ and others like ‘Pawn Shop’ make no difference regardless of how you slice it.

I like the coordinates on the picture as opposed to only being in a database, because by being placed on the picture it is like a stamp of accuracy by the photography stating these are where this picture was taken. And, if a database entry typo was made the coords on the picture provide a cross check.

Thank you, David, for your critique and inquiry. Both are most appreciated.

Best regards,

David
Founder of ProximityCast.com
A project in its infancy.

Till next time,
ciao my friends!



Original Source of Post

No comments: