ProximityCast.com

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Extracting Lat & Long coords from Google Maps

Well it has been a long day. I've worked on adding geocoding ability and it is almost ready.
Geocoding involves entering a street address, town, or zip code into the textbox and a geocoding service determines the Latitude and Longitude of that spot.
Geocoding has a high overhead. Many geocoding services limit how many can be done in a specific time frame.
ProximityCast.com is primarily designed to be used with GPS coordinates and makes street addresses unnecessary. However the world's citizens are so use to street addresses that a transition period is necessary. And you do need the means to acquire the coordinates of a location if you are not on site with a GPS.

Here is a method I use to extract coordinates from Google Maps. You can copy and paste the extracted coordinates into ProximityCast.com with the parenthesis intact to use as a cast initiation point.

  1. I open Google Maps to the vicinity of where I would like coordinates.
  2. I use my right click mouse button and select "center map here" from the drop down button.
  3. I past this javascript code that I keep saved somewhere convenient on my computer into my browser's URL address window.
    Here's the code:
    javascript:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));

  4. I click the "go to the address in the location bar" button usually to the right of the address.
  5. A popup appears showing the coordinates of the center of the map like this: (43.60336, -110.7362)
  6. I right click on the coordinates the copy and click either "OK" or "Cancel"
  7. I then paste the coordinates into google's "search maps" text box, remove the parenthesis and click "Search Maps"
  8. A popup appears with a marker for the centered spot. The popup has the coordinates in both Decimal Degrees and Degrees, Minutes, Seconds.
  9. I refine as and if necessary and I have my way point for inserting into my GPS or pasting into ProximityCast for a cast initiation point.



Here is a destination for you. You can find a link to their online menu here.
If you are ever traveling along I40 through central Arkansas this is a worthwhile and pleasant eating stop. My favorite is the "Louisiana Hot Shrimp Plump Shrimp, Sautéed in a Very Spicy Cajun Sauce" for 9.99 or 14.99 depending on whether or not you get it as an appetizer or a meal.
If you are a chocolate lover, you won't want to miss having "A Chocolate Mess
The Messiest Chocolate Sundae You Have Ever Eaten! 6.99 " for dessert."
Enjoy!

Well, nuff said for entry #3. Time to go to bed shortly so I'll be ready for a new day.
ciao my friends!

No comments: